The Fish that started it all. (April 2014) I would like to share a story, the beginning of my fish keeping hobby that eventually got stuck with me from childhood till today. This is about a fish that had been hiding away from me for the past 30 odd years. This was the fish that inspired it all. When I was around 9 yrs old, my dad took us for a holiday trip to Singapore, we visited the Singapore Aquarium if I remember correctly. And in one of the tank on display I could not help but was instantly mesmerized by the blue fish, the body of the fish is painted in shocking blue color. I remembered clearly written on the side Toman - Channa Micropeltes because this was the first time I was introduced to the scientific names of fishes. After returning from the trip my crave for snakehead developed, I got a few snakeheads but never in blue. I asked around but nobody had ever seen or even heard of the blue Toman. I bought micros from fish shop and grow them till adult and to my disappointm...
Since you've said fish that came from blackwater swamps were prettier then river specimens and that this may be due to the different oxygen and co2 content in the water, ive been wondering. Wouldn't in those different habitats also have different prey species for the Marus to eat? Could a diet consisting of blackwater fishes and other animals have an effect on flower developement?
ReplyDeleteBlackwater fishes usually have much darker and even black coloured scales, while riverine fish usually have lighter colour scales.
DeleteI've done converting from a low O2, low PH tank to a high O2 high PH tank and the fish losses its bunga
DeleteHi Moorish,learn a lot from your blog here. Thanks for all the useful knowledge. I got one question if you don't mind. Do you ever feed your maru kerang? Some of people i know feed their arowana kerang,and they said it is good for the fish. But i never found specific maru keeper that feed their maru kerang. Search a lot on youtube and just asked the question in facebook but nobody said they ever feed one to their channa..would like to know your opinion on this
ReplyDeleteThank you....
DeleteWhy wanna feed kerang should be the question?
since you brought this up once I started feeding sotong, as I see maru can change colors easily and I wanted to experiment if by feeding sotong what is the effect, after 3 months like no different only. Squid abilities to change colors bcoz theyve chromatophores, and I was wondering if this would help. Perhaps maybe if I were to experimen on more maru I may get some results.
hi moorish ,u got 1 nice piece over there. do you mind sharing any reputable maru seller.
ReplyDelete