Skip to main content

Tanning Marulioides

Another way you can bloom the flower of your marulioides is with the tanning technique. First lets understand a little bit about the flower. The flower is actually a dead pixel, marulioides are very unique fish, they possessed the ability to change color at will like a chameleon. But when the flower is formed that scale is spoiled and no longer changes color, it cannot get darker or lighter.

As mentioned many times marulioides caught in river or big water always shows minimal flower, maru caught in dead water like peat swamp shows maximum flowers. Maru would need the color changing ability to survive, they can change color to hunt and to escape from predators.

Meanwhile maru living in black dead water swamp do not need the color changing ability as much or maybe the low PH somehow destroy the color changing ability and the result will be plentiful of flowers or plenty of spoiled scale.

I've done experiment on maru living in fast cycled tank and they lose the flowers or in another way to look at it they heal the scale so that the color changing ability is once again functioning. Maru living in slow cycle tank or still water tank with low PH will develop more flowers.

An alternate way to speed up this process is with tanning light, we destroy the color changing ability in the scale hence producing flowers.

First you will need the fish to reduce or park its color at neutral. Means color is off. Few ways to do this, the easy way is to increase the ph to above 7. The fish will be uncomfortable and will show no color. That is neutral color and this is the color we want.

Tan the fish with a low power light, submersible is preferred for better result. Full spectrum 10k light with uva and uvb. This will start destroying the thin layer at the edge. Do this for around 2 - 3 weeks, 7-10 hours daily and u can see the edge showing white.

Then switch to a strong lamp and burn the white color until it is fully destroyed and showing a bright white patch. The strong lamp can only be use for a short period. 7 days and 7-10 hours daily.

I've gone thru many failed attempts to tan marulioides until I finally figured out that the scale must be colored off.

The process will take months and close monitoring. Not an easy task, plenty of commitment.






4 months of tanning result





Hi output 12k T5


Low output 10k T5

Comments

  1. hi great post by the way, umm i wonder if locality determine the dominant color of marulioides, e.g borneo is red, thailand is yellow, etc

    if it's not then cmiiw, every marulioides regardless their locality have the same probability to become red, yellow, red eye, blue, etc

    thanks before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say locality do determine the color of marulioides

      Delete
  2. Hi Moorish,

    Happy New Year!

    I have been raring Maru for years. Didn't knwo much about them till i come across your blog. Had to let go my 1st Maru 15 years back when it decided to break my aquarium.. well was young and having another priorities. So after 20 years now. I bough a Maru var Terengganu, that is after I came across your blog. Well making Maru flower is a tedious job. So stick with the basic. Having it for one an half years now. it has grown pretty fast. Its about 47cm now.

    A month back, I was trying to add a plant into my aquarium. All of the sudden my maru snapped and start to hid in the corner. It just got so scared. Since then it did not recovered. It stays there and does not come for food. It goes hiding whenever there is people around. It looks stressed all the time. Does not move around as how its used to be.

    1. Tried feeder fish: only eats when no once around.
    2. Shrimps: same, only eats when no ones around.
    3. dried shrimps, i must drop and leave, make sure no one there.
    4. dubia roach: i must drop and leave, make sure no one there.

    Do you know why it behave this way? Need advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a case like this and it was due to PH dropped too low, maybe try adjust your PH and see how it goes.

      Delete
  3. Hi Moorish.

    Thanks for the very useful knowledge. Allow me to ask further that I have a maru barito. but I have a condition where the black flower on its body is lost, is it because my Ph is too low ?? My ph is around 4.5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flower drop is most time caused my stress, stress from water parameter change or any stress.

      Delete
    2. So will that flower come back up and need to do anything other than your sharing above or just let it stabilize and the stress will come back up?

      Delete
  4. Do you know how to make the color of channa micropeltes beautiful?? My snakehead is going to be 50cm soon, and I am very worried because the color is not clear... The tank is 1500x600x600, I put some water plants on the side, and I use a light that is not too bright. I used to filter often, but after reading your posts, I don't do it too often. The water temperature is 29'c. I want to see the light blue color of the snakehead... This question is irrelevant to the main text, but there is no place to get information. I can't find it, so I ask the teacher for help... I'm sorry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, may I know do I need to on my filter when using tanning light? Or I can use tanning without running water in the tank?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From various experiment, it is proven running water will not help with flower growth

      Delete
    2. I see, understand, thanks for the guidance! Appreciate that!!

      Delete
  6. Hi, I'm keeping an Red maru about 25cm, what colour background and base is suitable with tanning light?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope this was an best ever blog related to this topic thanks for sharing this Custom ERP Software

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The science behind Channa Marulioides colors and pattern

Channa Marulioides is the chameleon of the fish, they are the champion when comes to color changing abilities. In a split second they can change from greenish brown to yellow and to orange. They can change their eye color from black to bright red. Observe your Channa Marulioides and you can see they greet you with bright yellow colors doing the maru dance, they flashes their bands to the highest contrast. The body colors are intense and their eyes bright vampire red in colors. When they are tone down and just swim about their business you notice the color is dull when they are in mid water, and suddenly sinking to the bottom with bright orange (depending on the var and PH) they keep changing and flashing their bands and patterns. But the black and white flowers will remain so in whichever mood they display. Also take note that maru shows their best colors mostly at midnight. Each Channa Marulioides comes in its own unique pattern of bands and flowers, like a fingerprint, I beli

Marulioides Care Part 1 (Bunga)

I've been reluctant to write this but many had asked me to post how to take care of marulioides for maximum performance. The truth is you need to abused it, hence Marulioides care isn't exactly the correct terms to use. Channa Marulioides is found in most part of malaysia, lakes, pond, streams, rivers, but one thing most fisherman realized are those caught in swamp, I mean really dead stagnant peat swamp. Waters that are near black in color most time the fish had tremendous performance, beautiful colors and a lot of flowers. From this theory many tried replicating the conditions with low ph and so on. I've experiment many ways of keeping marulioides and I can concur to this, Low PH meaning Ph5 and below, I usually keeps mine ard PH4 or maybe lower, because my test kit can only measure till 4 and cant read anything lower. Low PH produce beautiful coloration. As for the bunga, yes everybody wants to know this, there is no tricks, just lots and lots of experiment. It i